Getting Your Flu Vaccine This Year
August 27, 2020Arbor News
Influenza season is right around the corner and Arbor Family Medicine is up to the task of identifying and managing various types of influenza. More importantly, we have special ordered specific influenza vaccines that match to the health needs of our patients. Remember, not all flu vaccines are created equal! Although we are very excited to start immunization process for 2020-2021 flu season, we must follow CDC recommendation regarding social distancing, masks, hand washing, etc. during this pandemic.
A few things to consider before you get your flu vaccine this year:
- We highly encourage patients to get their flu vaccines from their doctor’s office. You may require a different dosage or type of flu vaccine based on your age and/or your health condition.
- DON’T GET IT TOO EARLY! Although when you should get the flu vaccine is not an exact science, flu season can run all the way to May, usually peaking between December through February, according to the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Due to the long flu season, we recommend you receive your flu vaccine after September 1.
- If you do not have active health insurance coverage – no worries! Our patients can self-pay for traditional flu vaccine for just $30 per dose (excludes High-Dose or FluBlok-egg free).
- If you received your flu shot elsewhere, please bring your flu shot information (where received, when received, and what type of flu vaccine received) to our office to update your medical records.
Receiving your flu vaccine during a pandemic:
- All patients need to schedule an appointment.
- Flu clinic is available to existing patients only. Please call to make an appointment. You will receive a confirmation via email or text so you can pre-check-in prior to your appointment. This will expedite the process while maintaining compliance with social distancing recommendations.
- Flu shot clinic will open on Saturdays only, starting September 26th from 8 am to 12 pm at both locations. This schedule may change in the future depending on demand, available vaccines, and COVID guidelines.
- Only patients with appointments should enter our facility unless needing assistance with mobility or language.
- Temperatures, masks, and pre-screening questions will be required for all who enter our facility.
- PLEASE do not come for your flu shot if you are sick or have been diagnosed with COVID within the last 14 days.